Cosmetic contouring, also known as tooth reshaping or enameloplasty, involves removing small amounts of dental enamel from the teeth to achieve the shape you want. Cosmetic contouring improves the look of the teeth, creating a smile that looks even, healthy, and polished.
Reasons Tooth Reshaping is Needed
Dr. AlWazzan and his associates may recommend cosmetic contouring for a large number of reasons. Here are a few of the most common.
Improve Surface Texture
Certain conditions can cause severe staining or pitting to the surface of the teeth, making the smile look dirty or unattractive. Cosmetic contouring can be used to smooth out the surface of the teeth, making them easier to clean and much more attractive.
To Close Gaps
If your teeth are wider at the bottom than they are at the top, your smile might contain unsightly triangular gaps between the teeth—even after orthodontic treatment. To straighten out the sides of the teeth, your cosmetic dentist in Quincy MA may contour the edges of the teeth to allow the gaps to close properly.
Make Teeth More Symmetrical
Birth defects, prior injuries, or problems with gum disease can leave people with smile that aren’t symmetrical, which can draw attention. Cosmetic contouring can help to create symmetry between both sides of the dental arch or to make individual teeth more balanced, improving the appearance of your smile.
Adjust Canine Length
Cosmetic contouring can also be used to help shorten exceptionally long canine teeth, helping you to chew more comfortably without biting your cheek or lip.
Benefits of Cosmetic Contouring Quincy MA
- Fast and Effective– Cosmetic contouring only takes a few minutes of your dentist’s time, but the results are immediate and permanent.
- Low Cost– If your insurance doesn’t cover cosmetic contouring, don’t worry. The procedure is affordable for even patients who are on a strict budget. If you aren’t sure whether or not your insurance company covers cosmetic contouring, contact your provider or call our office. We’ll be more than happy to help you to learn more about your coverage.
- Improve Dental Health– Since food and tartar can collect in the spaces between teeth or around crowded areas, cosmetic contouring can help to improve your dental health. When these areas are filed down and smooth, bacteria doesn’t have as much of a chance to collect and cause problems like gingivitis and tooth decay.
- No Shots Needed– Tooth reshaping is so gentle that most patients don’t need anesthetic, making it easy to return to work or school after your appointment.
- Simple Recovery– Areas that have been reshaped don’t require any special care, although the teeth may be slightly more sensitive for a short time after they are reshaped. To help with discomfort due to hot and cold foods, use a sensitivity toothpaste after your treatment.
If you think that tooth reshaping could help your smile, contact Dr. AlWazaan’s office today to make an appointment.